Cutaneous hemangiomas are single to multiple, circumscribed 'blood blisters' (angiokeratomas) which may sometimes ulcerate.
These tumors commonly develop on the trunk and extremities in dogs, but have been reported in the tongue, intestines, liver, spleen, spinal cord, synovial tissue, brain, maxillary bone and eye and ocular adnexal tissues.
Diagnosis can be tentatively based on visualization but confirmation requires histological analysis. Immunohistochemistry is also available.
A differential diagnosis would include mast cell tumor, hemangiosarcoma, peliosis hepatis and hemangiopericytoma. In dogs, hemangioma, like hemangiosarcoma, are associated with blood clotting disorders and may be related to underlying diseases such as immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, immune-mediated thrombocytopenia and infections with Ehrlichia spp and Bartonella henselae.
Treatment of cutaneous hemangiomas by surgical excision is usually curative in dogs.
Visceral hemangiomas can be more problematic, depending on their location. Surgical excision is usually required and due to the slow-progressive nature, may require radiation therapy.
Chemotherapy is considered less effective.
- ↑ Dog Health Handbook
- ↑ Banga HS et al (2010) A Case of Intranasal Hemangioma and Concurrent Tetracycline-induced Ulcerative Gastritis in Dogs. Toxicol Int 17(1):33-36
- ↑ Aita N et al (2010) Hemangioma of the ileum in a dog. J Vet Med Sci 72(8):1071-1073
- ↑ Jull P et al (2011) Imaging diagnosis - spinal cord hemangioma in two dogs. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 52(6):653-657
- ↑ Yoon HY et al (2012) Synovial Hemangioma Accompanied by Cruciate Ligament Injury in a Dog. J Vet Med Sci Oct 9
- ↑ Eichelberger BM et al (2011) Imaging diagnosis - magnetic resonance imaging findings of primary cerebral hemangioma. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 52(2):188-191
- ↑ Hansen D et al (2010) Intraosseous maxillary hemangioma in an immature Bassett Hound. J Vet Dent 27(4):234-241
- ↑ Chandler HL et al (2009) Immunohistochemical analysis of ocular hemangiomas and hemangiosarcomas in dogs. Vet Ophthalmol 12(2):83-90
- ↑ Woldemeskel M & Rajeev S (2010) Mast cells in canine cutaneous hemangioma, hemangiosarcoma and mammary tumors. Vet Res Commun 34(2):153-160
- ↑ Breitschwerdt EB et al (2009) Isolation of Bartonella vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii genotype II from a boy with epithelioid hemangioendothelioma and a dog with hemangiopericytoma. J Clin Microbiol 47(6):1957-1960