Benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostatomegaly) is a common prostate disease of older, entire dogs.
This disease is a benign, naturally developing, age-related condition in dogs as a result of testosterone-induced hyperplasia of prostatic epithelial and mesenchymal structures, with little change in the collagen supportive structures. These physiological alterations can be found in more than 95 % of aged intact male dogs.
The process by which the circulating testosterone acts within the prostate to cause hyperplasia is not fully understood but may be related to a chronic inflammatory process.
Clinically affected dogs are older (usually over 5 years of age), entire males with tenesmus, flattened faeces, constipation or hematuria.
Diagnosis is relatively easy using rectal examination of ultrasonographic studies. Ultrasound guided biopsy may be required to ascertain a definitive diagnosis.
The use of experimental radiation therapy shows great promise but is mainly restricted to large referral practices.
- University of Guelph
- Shidaifat F & Lin YC (2012) Testosterone effect on the expression of genes that mediate testosterone metabolism and genes that mediate the effect of those metabolites on the prostate. Life Sci 91(5-6):194-198
- Juodziukyniene N et al (2010) Effect of age, hyperplasia and atrophy on collagen parameters in dog prostates. Pol J Vet Sci 13(3):479-485
- Renggli M et al (2010) Benign prostatic hyperplasia: treatment options in the dog. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 152(6):279-284
- Wilson JD (2011) The critical role of androgens in prostate development. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 40(3):577-590
- Sontas BH et al (2010) Blood dripping from the penis of a German Shepherd dog. Aust Vet J 88(6):242-244
- Palm J & Reichler IM (2012) The use of deslorelin acetate (Suprelorin®) in companion animal medicine. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 154(1):7-12
- Schilit S & Benzeroual KE (2009) Silodosin: a selective alpha1A-adrenergic receptor antagonist for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Clin Ther 31(11):2489-2502
- Zhao P et al (2011) Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy of spontaneous benign prostatic hyperplasia in canines. Oncol Res 19(5):225-235