There is currently no moderator assigned to this section of Vetbook. The contents of this page have therefore not been independently verified and are not available for editing. Parties wishing to contribute to the moderation and development of Vetbook are invited to contact us at email@example.com
Proteus spp are a Gram-negative, anaerobic commensal proteobacteria normally found on dog skin and gastrointestinal tracts.
Species which are pathogenic to dogs include:
- Proteus mirabilis
Diagnosis is based on microbial culture or PCR assay identification.
- First 6 weeks.com
- Münnich A (2008) The pathological newborn in small animals: the neonate is not a small adult. Vet Res Commun 32(1):S81-S85
- Ball KR et al(2008) Antimicrobial resistance and prevalence of canine uropathogens at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 2002-2007. Can Vet J 49(10):985-990
- Zamankhan Malayeri H et al (2010) Identification and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of bacteria causing otitis externa in dogs. Vet Res Commun 34(5):435-444
- Gómez-Muñoz MT et al (2012) Development of a specific polymerase chain reaction assay for the detection of Basidiobolus. Mycologia 104(2):585-591
- Silley P et al (2012) Bactericidal properties of pradofloxacin against veterinary pathogens. Vet Microbiol 157(1-2):106-111