Snake-bite poisoning

From Dog
Jump to: navigation, search

Snake bite envenomation is relatively common in dogs and frequently results in acute respiratory distress syndrome and sudden death[1].

Clinical symptoms are usually rapid in onset and dogs present in a state of collapse, dyspnea and shock, and sometimes may cough blood.

These patients are considered medical emergencies and supportive therapy, sometimes requiring positive-pressure ventilation is necessary. Snake-specific or multivalent antivenins are given intravenously to effect and recovery can sometimes be prolonged.

References

  1. Hoggan SR et al (2011) Mojave toxin-type ascending flaccid paralysis after an envenomation by a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 21(5):558-564