These tumors were originally classified as basal cell tumors but have since been reclassified.
Benign variant forms such as clear cell trichoblastoma have also been reported in the dog.
Trichoblastoma usually appear as an elevated pigmented or cystic mass varying in size from 1 - 5 cm overlying areas of alopecia and hyperpigmentation. the affected area may be ulcerated and they need to be distinguished from mast cell tumors, hemangiopericytomas, trichoepithelioma, tricholemmoma and melanomas.
Surgical excision is usually curative.
- University of Pennsylvania
- De Vico G et al (2011) Fractal pattern of canine trichoblastoma. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33(3):151-157
- Sharif M & Reinacher M (2006) Clear cell trichoblastomas in two dogs. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 53(7):352-354
- Abramo F et al (1999) Survey of canine and feline follicular tumours and tumour-like lesions in central Italy. J Small Anim Pract 40(10):479-481
- Chalita MC et al (2001) Nonaspiration fine needle cytology and its histologic correlation in canine skin and soft tissue tumors. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 23(6):395-399