Aplysia gigantea toxicosis

From Dog
Aplysia gigantea (sea hare)[1]

Aplysia gigantea are a large sea slug ('sea hare') normally found in shallow coastal waters.

Ingestion of these by dogs has resulted in increasing numbers of toxicity reports to veterinary clinics.

Toxicosis is primarily seasonal, with the slugs washed onto beaches and dogs consuming them, resulting in tetrodotoxicity.

Signs of intoxication are primarily asymptomatic, but neurological signs do occur, associated with a higher mortality rate[2].

Symptoms include tremors, hyperesthesia, muscle fasciculation, seizures, nystagmus and diarrhea.

Treatment involves decontamination and supportive therapy for seizures, tremors and muscle fasciculation.

References

  1. Seaslug forum
  2. Peacock, RE et al (2012) Aplysia gigantea toxicosis in 72 dogs. AEC, Spring newsletter. pp:1