Arcanobacterium spp are a genus of Gram-positive bacteria.
These bacteria are normally soil dwelling and infect dogs through commensal activity or via trauma.
Species which are pathogenic to dogs include:
- Arcanobacterium haemolyticum
- Arcanobacterium hippocoleae
- Arcanobacterium phocae
- Arcanobacterium canis
- Arcanobacterium pluranimalium
Resistance of this bacteria to tetracycline and macrolides has been reported.
- Hijazin M et al (2012) Arcanobacterium canis sp. nov., isolated from otitis externa of a dog, and emended description of the genus Arcanobacterium Collins et al. 1983 emend. Yassin et al. 2011. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62(9):2201-2205
- Lee S et al (2008) A case of necrotizing fasciitis due to Streptococcus agalactiae, Arcanobacterium haemolyticum, and Finegoldia magna in a dog-bitten patient with diabetes. Korean J Lab Med 28(3):191-195
- Ulbegi-Mohyla H et al (2010) Identification of Arcanobacterium pluranimalium isolated from a dog by phenotypic properties and by PCR mediated characterization of various molecular targets. Vet Microbiol 142(3-4):458-460