Intestinal polyposis manifests in dogs as numerous polyps affecting long segments of the gastrointestinal tract. Lymphomatous polyposis is distinguished from other primary forms of intestinal lymphoma by its poor prognosis and may be intestinal counterpart of human nodal mantle zone lymphoma.
A presumptive diagnosis may be established by history, abdominal palpation and radiographic/ultrasonographic evidence of markedly thickened intestinal loops and multinodular masses in the serosal layer and irregularly thickened intestinal wall associated with gas-filled loops. Mitotic nuclei are frequently observed within the masses.
A definitive diagnosis requires histological examination of full-thickness intestinal biopsies and immunohistochemistry.
Differential diagnoses would include ulcerative colitis (with chronic polyposis formation), intestinal hamartoma, neurofibroma, gastric carcinoma (with polypoid formation), adenomatous polyposis (benign) and adenocarcinoma.
Treatment is guarded to poor in most cases and responses to chemotherapy have been limited.
- Jeong DH et al (2006) Multiple intestinal lymphomatous polyposis in a Jindo dog. J Vet Sci 7(4):401-403
- Jubala CM et al (2005) CD20 Expression in Normal Canine B Cells and in Canine non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Vet Pathol 42:468–476
- Isaacson PG et al (1984) Multiple lymphomatous polyposis of the gastrointestinal tract. Histopathology 8:641–656
- Hirakawa K et al (1996) Primary gastrointestinal T-cell lymphoma resembling multiple lymphomatous polyposis. Gastroenterology 111:778–782
- Jubb KV et al (1993) Pathology of Domestic Animals. Vol. 2. San Diego: Academic Press. pp:140
- Lavergne A et al (1994) Multiple lymphomatous polyposis of the gastrointestinal tract. An extensive histopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 12 cases. Cancer 74:3042–3050
- Chaimoff C et al (1989) New approach to surgical treatment of ulcerative colitis and polyposis coli without pelvic pouch. Experimental study in dogs. Dis Colon Rectum 32(7):572-579
- Bemelmans I et al (2011) Colorectal hamartomatous polyposis and ganglioneuromatosis in a dog. Vet Pathol 48(5):1012-1015
- Poutahidis T et al (2008) Primary gastric choriocarcinoma in a dog. J Comp Pathol 139(2-3):146-150
- Coyle KA & Steinberg H (2004) Characterization of lymphocytes in canine gastrointestinal lymphoma. Vet Pathol 41:141–146