Lasalocid poisoning

From Dog

Lasalocid is a carboxyl ionophore antibiotic that is used for the prevention of coccidiosis in chickens and turkeys, and as a growth promoter in ruminants. Dogs become poisoned from eating contaminated carcases[1] or in dog food contaminated with this drug[2].

Clinical signs related to peripheral neurotoxicity within 12 hours post-consumption, leading to paralysis[3]. Quadriparesis, salivation, hyperthermia and dyspnea are the major symptoms in the dogs, with some dogs showing tongue laxity, hyperaesthesia and anisochoria[4].

Serum biochemical abnormalities include high activities of creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase and aspartate aminotransferase.

A diagnosis is based on presenting clinical signs, hematological and biochemical evidence of hepatotoxicity and identification of the toxin in feed or carcases[5].

A differential diagnosis would include botulism and tetanus.

Treatment is usually supportive, with broad-spectrum antimicrobial therapy, intravenous fluids and placement of gastric tube feeding in severely dysphagic dogs.

References

  1. Segev G et al (2004) Accidental poisoning of 17 dogs with lasalocid. Vet Rec 155:174–176
  2. Espino L et al (2003) Suspected lasalocid poisoning in three dogs. Vet Hum Toxicol 45(5):241-242
  3. Safran Z et al (1993) Paralytic syndrome attributed to lasalocid residues in a commercial ration fed to dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 202:1273–1275
  4. Segev G et al (2004) Accidental poisoning of 17 dogs with lasalocid. Vet Rec 155(6):174-176
  5. Kaykaty M & Weiss G (1983) Lasalocid determination in animal blood by high-performance liquid chromatography fluorescence detection. J Agric Food Chem 31(1):81-84