Liposarcoma are malignant, locally-invasive and metastatic neoplasms of canine fat cells.
These tumors consist of malignant lipoblasts and mesenchymal tissue and are considered to be soft-tissue neoplasms. The etiology of these tumors is unknown, but environmental and dietary pollutants are considered likely causes. One dog has reportedly diagnosed with liposarcoma following microchip implantation.
These tumors are primarily confined to the subcutaneous tissue of the skin, but primary and disseminated metastatic tumors have been reported in the tongue, intestines, bone, spleen and liver.
Because liposarcomas and lipomas are often indistinguishable grossly, histologic examination is required for a definitive diagnosis.
Liposarcomas are usually immunoreactive to vimentin and S100.
- Chang SC & Liao JW (2008) Mesojejunoileac liposarcoma with intrahepatic metastasis in a dog. J Vet Med Sci 70(6):637-640
- Vascellari M et al (2004) Liposarcoma at the site of an implanted microchip in a dog. Vet J 168(2):188-190
- Rodenas S et al (2006) Combined use of surgery and radiation in the treatment of an intradural myxoid liposarcoma in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 42(5):386-391
- Tei M et al (2012) Mammary lipid-rich carcinoma with extensive amyloid deposition in a dog. J Vet Med Sci 74(6):809-811
- Piseddu E et al (2011) Cytologic, histologic, and immunohistochemical features of lingual liposarcoma in a dog. Vet Clin Pathol 40(3):393-397
- Frase R et al (2009) Metastasising liposarcoma of bone in a young dog. Vet Rec 164(12):372-373
- Wang FI et al (2005) Disseminated liposarcoma in a dog. J Vet Diagn Invest 17(3):291-294
- Galofaro V et al (2008) Primary pleomorphic liposarcoma of the liver in a dog. Pol J Vet Sci 11(4):385-388
- Piviani M et al (2012) Cytologic features of clear cell adnexal carcinoma in 3 dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 41(3):405-411
- Jakab C et al (2009) Cutaneous mast cell tumour within a lipoma in a boxer. Acta Vet Hung 57(2):263-274
- Rahman MM et al (2012) Pathological features of salivary gland cysts in a Shiba dog with GM1 gangliosidosis: a possible misdiagnosis as malignancy. J Vet Med Sci 74(4):485-489
- Baez JL et al (2004) Liposarcomas in dogs: 56 cases (1989-2000). J Am Vet Med Assoc 224(6):887-891