the life cycle involves paratenic hosts (snails) and an intermediate aquatic host (catfish).
Species which have been reported in dogs include:
- Mesostephanus appendiculatum
- Mesostephanus longisaccus
- Mesostephanus milvi
- Mesostephanus fajardensis
Most dogs are asymptomatically infected this parasite and are an incidental finding during routine epidemiological surveys.
Diagnosis is usually based on coprological identification of eggs.
Treatment would be effective empirically with praziquantel at 5 mg/kg every 4 - 6 weeks.
- Bowman, DD et al (2005) Feline clinical parasitology. Iowa State University Press, Iowa. pp:91
- el-Assal FM et al (1986) Three Egyptian trematodes of fish-eating mammals of family Cyathocotylidae (Poche, 1926). Z Parasitenkd 72(1):73-78
- Chandler AC (1950) Mesostephanus longisaccus, a new cyathocotylid trematode from a dog. J Parasitol 36(1):90
- El-Gayar AK (2007) Studies on some trematode parasites of stray dogs in Egypt with a key to the identification of intestinal trematodes of dogs. Vet Parasitol 144(3-4):360-365