Pneumonia is a collective term for any inflammatory or infectious respiratory disease.
Affected dogs usually present with a distinctive cough, or dyspnea. Fever is usually present.
Critically ill dogs require emergency treatment with oxygen therapy and broad-spectrum antimicrobials.
- - Aelurostrongylus spp - lungworms
- - Strongyloides spp
- - Dirofilaria spp - heartworm
- - Ixodes holocyclus - tick paralysis
- - Canine adenovirus
- - Canine parainfluenza virus (Kennel cough)
- - Canine influenza virus (H3N8 - hemorrhagic pneumonia)
- - Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- - Staphylococcus aureus (methicillin resistant)
- - Streptococcus equi subsp zooepidemicus
- - Bordetella spp
- Luna CM et al (2009) Animal models of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Eur Respir J 33(1):182-188