Pregnancy in dogs usually last from 55 - 65 days (average 63 days; 9 weeks).
Diagnosis can be achieved by manual palpation (experience required), use of ultrasonography or testing blood levels of progesterone.
Diseases associated with pregnancy include:
- Post-mating endometritis
- Hypocalcemia and milk fever
- Gestational diabetes mellitus
- Dystocia - complicated birth
- Mammary tumors
Most dogs kept as pets are routinely neutered to prevent unwanted puppies and antisocial behaviour such as aggression.
- Dogs Pregnancy
- Beccaglia M & Luvoni GC (2012) Prediction of parturition in dogs and cats: accuracy at different gestational ages. Reprod Domest Anim 47(6):194-196
- Balogh O et al (2012) Leptin and leptin receptor gene expression in the canine corpus luteum during diestrus, pregnancy and after aglepristone-induced luteolysis. Reprod Domest Anim 47(6):40-42
- England GC et al (2012) Delayed uterine fluid clearance and reduced uterine perfusion in bitches with endometrial hyperplasia and clinical management with postmating antibiotic. Theriogenology 78(7):1611-1617
- Coate KC et al (2013) Hepatic glucose metabolism in late pregnancy: normal versus high-fat and -fructose diet. Diabetes 62(3):753-761