From Dog

Promethazine is an antiemetic agent which acts as a H1 receptor antagonist and is used for treatment of motion sickness in dogs.

Toxicity has been reported in dogs when accidental intoxication has occurred, characterized by profound CNS depression and gastroenteritis[1].

Recommended dose rate in dogs is 2 - 5 mg/kg given orally or intramuscularly every 24 hours[2].


  1. Staley EC & Staley EE (1995) Promethazine toxicity in a seven-month-old Doberman pinscher. Vet Hum Toxicol 37(3):243-244
  2. Ramanathan R et al (1998) Bioavailability of intranasal promethazine dosage forms in dogs. Pharmacol Res 38(1):35-39