From Dog
Pale mucous membranes in a dog after ingesting anticoagulant rodenticide[1]

Anticoagulant and non-anticoagulant rodenticides are a synthetic group of toxins use for killing small rodents.

Because of the ubiquitous presence of these products, available over-the-counter worldwide, poisoning is very common, either by accidental ingestion or via malicious baiting.

- brodifacoum, diphacinone (diphenadione), chlorophacinone
  • Noncoagulant rodenticides:
- Strychnine
- 1080
- Metaldehyde
- Bromethalin
- Zinc phosphide[2]
- Cholecalciferol[3]


  1. Animal Central
  2. Gray SL et al (2011) Potential zinc phosphide rodenticide toxicosis in dogs: 362 cases (2004-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 239(5):646-651
  3. DeClementi C & Sobczak BR (2012) Common rodenticide toxicoses in small animals. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 42(2):349-60